Here are the (more than) Five Things for Friday, August 31, 2012:
“A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.” – Emo Phillips. Here’s the sports schedule for Friday:
- There is an Injury Fund football exhibition at Chariho High School tonight, starting at 6 p.m. with Westerly vs. Narragansett. This is followed by North Kingstown vs. East Greenwich, and South Kingstown vs. Chariho.
- South Kingstown boys’ soccer hosts East Greenwich at 7 p.m. at Curtis Corner Middle School. The opener for the night is Narragansett vs. North Kingstown at 5 p.m.
- The Prout School plays in an Injury Fund exhibition tonight at Cimini Stadium. The games start at 4:30 p.m., and Prout plays fourth, against La Salle.
- Prout girls’ tennis plays in an Injury Fund match at 3:30 p.m. at Wheeler School Farm.
- Narragansett girls’ soccer plays at Coventry at 4 p.m.
Mmm, produce! The Goddard State meets every Friday at 9 a.m.
Steppin’ out! The South Kingstown Senior Center walking club has its today. The fun starts at 9:30 a.m.
Patch and Bike to the Beach! Like biking? Take part in a Patch-sponsored in Middletown at noon today.
Good times, good music! The Narragansett Summer Concert Series at Gazebo Park at 6 p.m. Avenue A plays, and they specialize in swing, jazz and fun music.
A gallery benefit show! There is a gallery show of Stephanie Parker’s work to benefit the Courthouse Center for the Arts. The exhibit is on display until Sept. 9, and open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays.
DANGER WILL ROBINSON! Starting in early September, we’re going to be phasing out the adding of new calendar events by our staff. This means that if you’re from a group or organization, you’ll have to start doing them yourself. It’s pretty simple, though! While logged into your Patch account, just go here. Adding your event ensures it’ll show up in searches, and be eligible for me to give it shout-outs in Five Things.
Sign up for our daily newsletter! Hey, I realize we have a lot of neat features and knick-knacks on the site, so it can be confusing to keep up with it all. Want just one simple, easy to read daily digest? Sign up for our e-mail newsletter here then. It comes out between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. roughly, every single day of the week. Amazing, I know!
Oh, la and LA. Happy 42nd birthday to Queen Rania of Jordan, who is more like a Disney queen than, say, Queen Elizabeth.
Want to be e-mailed when we have a new Five Things? Click the “keep me posted!” button below.