Here are the Five Things for Friday, February 24, 2012, and the two weekend days:
Cawfee chat. I’ll be hosting a low-key event today, and by “hosting” I mean “sitting around at a local coffee place.” I’ll be at at noon, and sticking around until 1 p.m. at the least. Feel free to swing by and discuss the important (or not so important) news of the day. (Next week will be Coffee Connection, and if you have any other suggestions for me, feel free to send them to Stephen.email@example.com.)
Take me down to the Paradise City Park where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. Tonight is the opening night for the Contemporary Theater Company’s Paradise Park at . The performance starts at 7 p.m. and runs until 9 p.m., roughly. For more information, click . There are additional performances are on Saturday, followed by performances on March 1, 2, 3 and 8.
No fjords involved. The Pettaquamscutt Winter Speaker Series continues at Maury Loontjens Memorial Library on Sunday, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Take part in a free opportunity to learn more about the town you live in (presumably).
Sporting roundup! NOTE: Any cancellations or postponements would be on the RIIL website. Here is the sports schedule for this weekend:
- In playoff action, the Narragansett boys’ basketball team looks to pull off a major upset tonight at St. Raphael’s. Prout is the favored team in their matchup against Exeter-West Greenwich. Both games are at 7 p.m.
- Narragansett girls’ basketball (17-4, 15-2 Division II-South) travels to Mt. Hope High School (10-10, 9-8 Division II-South) for a 7 p.m. game on Friday. Junior varsity is at 5:30 p.m.
- Prout girls’ basketball (15-7, 11-6 Division II-South) travels to East Greenwich High School (11-10, 9-8 Division II-South) for a 7 p.m. game on Friday. Junior varsity is at 5:15 p.m.
- Narragansett boys’ hockey (2-15, 1-15 Division II-South) plays Portsmouth (9-7-2, 8-6-2 Division II-South) at the Thayer Ice Arena in Warwick at 8 p.m. Friday. On Saturday, the team faces off against South Kingstown (9-6-2, 8-6-2 Division II-South) at 8:30 p.m. at the Boss Ice Arena in Kingston.
- Individual Narragansett wrestlers will take part in the Rhode Island State Wrestling championships 4 p.m. Friday at the Providence Career and Technical Academy.
- Narragansett cheerleading competes 10 a.m. Saturday at Cranston East High School.
- The University of Rhode Island men’s basketball team (5-23, 2-9 Atlantic 10) hosts St. Louis (22-5, 10-3 Atlantic 10) at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
- Prout boys’ hockey (13-3-2, 12-3-2 Division II-South) plays Portsmouth at the West Warwick Civic Center at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
Happy birthday Floyd Mayweather Jr.! Now please stop ducking Manny Pacquiao and give everyone the fight they want.
Want to be e-mailed when there is a new Five Things? Click the “keep me posted” button.