Here are the Five Things for Wednesday, February 15, 2012:
Wear pink! Tonight is the annual Pink Out at , as the Rams (5-21, 2-9 Atlantic 10) host the St. Joseph’s Hawks (16-10, 6-5 Atlantic 10). All proceeds from the sale of $7 pink t-shirts will go to Gloria Gemma Breast Cancer Resources. URI will attempt to put two ugly losses, to Xavier and Charlotte, in the rear view mirror with a win against the Hawks. For more info, or to buy tickets ahead of time, click here.
Here is the traditional sports roundup of yesterday’s results and tonight’s upcoming games. Uh, just like the preceding sentence said, here is that rundown:
- It is Senior Night for Narragansett girls’ basketball (15-3, 13-1 Division II-South), as they host West Warwick (11-8, 7-7 Division II-South) at 7 p.m. Junior varsity is at 5:15 p.m.
- The Prout girls’ basketball team (12-7, 8-6 Division II-South) hosts Warwick Vets (3-18, 2-13 Division II-South) at 7 p.m. Junior varsity is at 5:15 p.m.
- Members of the Narragansett boys’ indoor track team will compete at the junior varsity states. The time is still to be determined, according to the RIIL, but the meets takes places at the Providence Career and Technical Academy.
- It was a poor showing for Narragansett boys’ basketball (9-11, 7-9 Division II-South) in a near must-win at Chariho (7-13, 5-11 Division II-South). The Mariners lost 62-42 to the Chargers – For a box score from The Providence Journal, click here. Senior Pat Degnan led the Mariners with 14 points. Because of the loss, the Mariners must now upset Westerly (15-6, 12-4 Division II-South) on Friday, or West Warwick (19-2, 15-1 Division II-South) next week, to qualify for the state tournament.
- Likewise, the Prout Crusaders suffered their first loss of the season (18-3, 15-1 Division III-South) at Exeter-West Greenwich (12-8, 12-5 Division III-South), 46-42. For a box score from The Providence Journal, click here. Eric Ramieka led Prout with 17 points.
- Narragansett wrestling (11-9, 11-6 Division II-South) lost 48-36 to Exeter-West Greenwich (14-2, 14-2 Division II-South).
Sign up for FREE Everbridge alert notifications! In case you are unawares – and many of you are – the town has a free phone and computer alert system for things like power outages, parking bans and other issues. You can click the “Citizen Alert” button on the left of the town’s website, or if you’re feeling lazy, just click here. Narragansett Police Dispatcher Chris McGrath and Narragansett Fire Chief James Cotter are trying to get the word out about this and other EMS services in the coming weeks. While all of the town’s landlines are automatically included in the Everbridge system, you have to opt in if you have a cell phone, like every other adult human being nowadays.
“This is the greatest case of false advertising I’ve seen since I sued the movie The Neverending Story.” – Lionel Hutz. Today is the 58th birthday of Matt Groening, the man behind The Simpsons. Yes, it’s still on television – New episodes on Sunday, and old episodes in syndication pretty much around the clock. Frankly, if you haven’t seen it, you just aren’t trying. For a good list of Simpsons quotes, go here.
“Damn you people. Go back to your shanties.” Speaking of great, great men, today is the 56th birthday of Christopher McDonald, a.k.a. Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore. Who knew that February 15 saw the birth of not one, but TWO great men?
Want to be e-mailed when there is a new Five Things? Click the notify button!