Here are the (more than) Five Things for Friday, June 1, 2012:
South Kingstown lacrosse is championship bound. In the Division II boys’ lacrosse playoffs Thursday evening, the South Kingstown Rebels defeated Mount St. Charles to advance to the championship game. In a schedule shift because of East Greenwich High School’s graduation, the Rebels and Avengers square off 6 p.m. Saturday at Rhode Island College, weather-permitting. The Avengers went 13-0 in the regular season, beating South Kingstown 10-2 on April 10 at home and 14-8 on May 10 at South Kingstown.
High school sports playoff fever, catch it! A look at the upcoming games and recent results, arranged by date, roughly:
- In the Division II softball playoffs, No. 4 Prout beat No. 13 St. Ray’s 5-4, according to The Providence Journal. Prout will play No. 12 Exeter-West Greenwich, which beat No. 5 North Providence 3-1. The time and date has not yet been announced, but Prout will host the game.
- In the Division II softball playoffs, No. 2 Tolman beat No. 15 South Kingstown 11-1 in five innings, according to The Providence Journal. South Kingstown is eliminated from the playoffs as a result.
- In the Division I baseball playoffs, No. 4 South Kingstown defeated No. 5 La Salle 8-5 to remain in the winner’s bracket. The Rebels are now one win away from the Division I Final Four, and will get two chances to do it against the winner of the loser bracket’s game between La Salle and No. 12 Pilgrim. The game will be at Old Mountain Field on Monday.
- In the Division II baseball playoffs, No. 2 Prout beat No. 7 Exeter-West Greenwich 14-2 to remain in the winner’s bracket. They are also one game away from their Final Four, and will get two chances to do it. The Crusaders will host either Exeter-West Greenwich, West Warwick or Burrillville on Tuesday.
- In the Division II baseball playoffs, No. 5 Narragansett travels to No. 4 Woonsocket for a game at 4 p.m. today.
No vampires allowed. The Rhode Island Blood Center is hosting a blood drive at at 4:15 p.m.
Donate to the book sale! The Friends of the Maury Loontjens Memorial Library are accepting donations for their annual book sale, which takes place on June 8 and June 9. Donations are being accepted during normal business hours. For more info, click .
Blog blog blog blog blogggggg. At Narragansett-South Kingstown Patch, we’re always looking for new bloggers, despite our obnoxiously long name. If you’d like free exposure for your existing blog, or simply want to start writing, feel free to shoot an email to Stephen.firstname.lastname@example.org to get the process started. You can write about WHATEVER you’d like!
Book clubs, movies and tennis lessons! Have you checked out our events calendar lately? You know, it is where I get most of my information for this article. Also, as long as you have a Patch account, you can create your own events and save us some hard work. (Thanks in advance!)
Well, that’s probably why they’re a bit upset nowadays, between that and the Contra thing… On this day in 1855, American “adventurer” (to be charitable) William Walker conquered Nicaragua.
I really do want him to star in Robot Chicken’s spoof move, The Narrator. Happy 75th birthday to Morgan Freeman, who has one of the greatest voices ever, plus, he was in Shawshank.
Want to be e-mailed when there is a new Five Things? Click the “keep me posted!” button below.