You have heard it before, “Yeah, I work out.” “I go to the gym everyday.” That saying may even come from you, but how do you know that you are getting the most from your workout?
- Are you participating in physical activity but not getting results like you thought you would?
- Are you physically and mentally engaged in your ACTUAL workouts?
- Are you motivated to challenge yourself each time you participate in physical activity?
These may be the reason why you are struggling to achieve your health and fitness goals, simply because you are not engaged in your workouts.
In order to enjoy anything in life, WE MUST BE PRESENT!!
So what are we talking about here??
Here are some things to consider:
1) Is your mind wandering? Are you thinking of other things beside your mode of physical activity when you are participating in it?
2) If you are doing a specific exercise, are you feeling the specific muscles working to achieve the desired movement?
3) Are you working towards achieving a fitness goal?
If you answered NO to any of these questions, you are not alone. Many individuals who “work out” end up just doing that.
Or so they think.
Their definition of a “WORKOUT” is basically movement or just going through the motions and not actually engaging in the activity. This, in essence, is not a horrible concept, especially for people who are normally very sedentary. What we have to realize is that this concept can truly hurt your chances for health and fitness success.
HOW CAN I CHANGE THIS?
1) When you participate in any physical activity. BLOCK OUT ANYTHING ELSE IN YOUR LIFE! This is YOUR TIME and YOUR HEALTH and you OWE it your undivided attention. No EXCUSES HERE.
2) Whenever you are you are participating in a specific exercise, make sure you are USING the muscles you are supposed to. If you are performing a squat, mentally make a note and ask yourself, “Where am I feeling it when I perform this movement?” If you are feeling something in your neck or tightness and pain (leaning over, not bending your knees) in you lower back, then that is your cue to correct your form. You should be using the muscles in your legs, midsection and supporter muscles of the back.
*** Your mind controls every movement you make, so if you are not
MENTALLY invested in your workout, chances are you will not get the most out of it. TRY THIS NEXT TIME – Ask yourself before you start your exercise, “WHERE SHOULD I BE FEELING THIS?” If your answer is not the right one, then you must stop and make adjustments to make the movement correct.
3) “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” This quote pretty much says it all! If you are not striving for continued progression each time you participate in physical activity, it will be hard for you to consistently see changes in your body type, how your clothes fit, improved strength, improved endurance and personal appearance. Plan you goals ahead of time and track your progress so you have something to motivate you each time you perform physical activity!
These tips will change your view on physical activity and get you on the right path to achieving your goals for 2012!
Go GET EM!!!