Here are the Five Things for Wednesday, February 8, 2012:
“Darling don’t you go and cut your hair.” Unfortunately, there is not a Pavement appreciation club meeting at tonight. This meeting is at 6 p.m. and instead is about paving roads… That’s all I’ve got to say about that, since it seems pretty self-explanatory.
“I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore!” Likewise, “Networking at Noon” is not about Network. (Doing Five Things every day makes me worry that we’re running perilously low on movie and band titles.) Deb Kelso of the Narragansett Chamber of Commerce will be hosting at noon at the Mews Tavern in Wakefield. The cost is $12, and while RSVPing is recommended, drop-ins are normally OK.
“Certainly, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful.” My favorite quote from This is Spinal Tap really has nothing to do with high school sports, but hey, why not? Here is the sports outlook for today:
- Prout girls’ swimming (3-2-1, 3-2-1 Division I) and boys’ swimming (2-4, 2-4 Division I) both compete at 5 p.m. at the Woonsocket YMCA against Mount St. Charles girls’ swimming (0-5, 0-5 Division I) and boys’ swimming (1-4, 1-4 Division I).
- Prout girls’ basketball (10-7, 6-6 Division II-South) travels to Tiverton High School (7-9, 6-8 Division II-South) for a 7 p.m. game. Junior varsity is at 5:15 p.m.
- Narragansett girls’ basketball (14-3, 12-1 Division II-South) hosts Toll Gate (0-16, 0-13 Division II-South) at 7 p.m. Junior varsity is at 5:15 p.m. On Tuesday night, the Mariners took care of business against Warwick Vets (2-16, 1-11 Division II-South), easily winning 57-21. For a box score, click here. Abby McKanna led Narragansett with 16 points, and Chelsea Sahagian and Raquel Harris each had 10 points.
- The Narragansett girls’ indoor track team (1-8, 1-8 Division II Sullivan) competes in the Class C championship at 5:30 p.m. at the Providence Career and Technical Academy.
- Narragansett cheerleading competes at North Providence High School at 7:30 p.m. tonight. The Mariners have posted team scores of 66 and 65 at two previous meets this year.
- In boys’ basketball action, the Mariners (8-10, 6-8 Division II-South) lost a key matchup at Tiverton (7-11, 6-8 Division II-East) Tuesday night, 65-62. For a box score from The Providence Journal, click here. Pat Doyle led all scores with 23, and Francis Castrovillari hasn’t returned to the lineup yet because of a deep bone bruise on his thigh. Alex Rosa went 15-for-19 from the free throw for Tiverton.
Happy Birthday, Chris Griffin! Or rather, Seth Green. He’s now 38, and it seems like just yesterday, he was co-starring (well, had a bit part with) Jack Black in Airborne, a 1993 movie about rollerblading and skateboarding and being awesome in the 1990s. Also, his wife is much taller than he is.
Please share with us your tales of overwhelming love and affection. With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching next week, we’re looking for appropriate stories to publish – how you met your current husband / wife, why you still love them, a funny or amusing story about the holiday. You know, anything neat like that. Feel free to leave your remarks in a comment to this story, or to shoot an e-mail to Narragansett@patch.com. Please do your best to submit something, otherwise is going to weigh in on the issue in his usual dismissive way.
Want to be e-mailed when there is a new Five Things? Click the notify box nearby!