Release courtesy South Kingstown High School principal Robert McCarthy.
We were forced to evacuate the building this morning between first period and advisory because someone had lit a toilet paper roll on fire in one of the boys’ bathrooms, leading to smoke in the hallway and bathroom.
Students and teachers were outside for about seven minutes and were then directed to either the gym or the auditorium where they waited for approximately 25 minutes while local fire officials cleared the smoke and determined it was safe for students to go to classes.
We’ve strongly encouraged students to come forward with any information pertaining to the culprit. The safety of the children and adults who come here every day is our top priority.
I’d like to thank all of the students and teachers for how they conducted themselves during the evacuation and the professionals from the South Kingstown Fire and Police departments for their rapid and professional response.