This is going to be a bit of a different entry than usual. This one is more of a few random thoughts thrown together at once.
I have had a very stressful day at Subway (my part-time gig) with "Customer Appreciation Day" and usually just randomly spouting out nonsense helps me de-stress. So prepare yourselves for the random:
- I forgot how much I loved the Street Fighter series back when I was a child until I got Super Street Fighter IV for the Nintendo 3DS. Man, I loved that series and I was good at it. I'm pretty good at this one. Though I have a tendency to do well with players that are given "lower rankings" (fan rankings because fighting games are serious business).
- It's one thing to be caught singing to yourself in front of other people, but it's a whole other animal when you're caught singing to yourself in an entirely different language... This has happened quite a bit when I'd sing a song in Spanish or Japanese (not fluent in either language, I just have songs that I like that are in that language, and the lyrics are usually butchered). It's actually one of my distressing quirks.
- The more I think about it, the more I realize how weird I really was in high school. I still don't get half of the things I did and the logic behind them. For example, in 10th grade, I thought that racing against friends in Band class for some big comfy chair was serious business. Yep, gotta love high school logic.
- The Red Sox have somehow made losing into an art form recently. I think they took notes from the Mets on how to overspend and fail miserably in the process. Also, it goes to show you that pitching is what wins ballgames, not hitting.
- One of my favorite things to do in the rain is to attempt to re-enact Gene Kelly's iconic "Singin' in the Rain" dance. Just so long as nobody really sees me. I'm a horrific dancer that would make Elaine Benes look like Ginger Rogers.
- I think my all-time favorite movie is either 12 Angry Men or Airplane! I'm not sure if this says anything really about me, but I like both movies a lot.
- I wish people would think of animation more as a medium rather as a genre. Animation is used a lot for comedies and children's fare, but it can be a really powerful storytelling medium. Want evidence? Check out anything from Pixar or rent Grave of the Fireflies... Actually, not the latter... If you think Pixar movies make you cry, that one is a soul breaker. Try Princess Mononoke instead.
- My eye twitches violently whenever I hear any song from the movie Grease on television. I really, really hate that movie. Like... really. I like 1950s culture, but that movie just... I can't even begin to talk about how much I can't stand that movie.
- One of my favorite subjects in school was Chemistry. This is weird because I was horrible in Chemistry class. But I liked it still. I'm not sure I can quite explain this, but it is the truth.
- I was looking through some old papers of mine from kindergarten and I found out that I wanted to be Pluto when I grew up. Pluto as in the dog. I wish I had an explanation for this.
- I watched a lot of strange things when I was a kid – a lot of Nick at Nite and TV Land along with a lot of sketch comedy shows like Kids in the Hall and older episodes of Saturday Night Live.
- And finally, since I'm like a minute or two close to deadline, I'll leave you with my personal rule of thumb: "When in doubt, do it for the lulz." That means that if it's not morally corrupt, you think you can do, or something that will hurt others, then why not? In fact, that's how this article was even conceived.
Many apologies for those who wanted real hard-hitting stuff today. Back to the regularly scheduled columns come next Monday!