Still Need A Christmas Tree?
Still looking for the perfect tree this year? Check out Patch's guide to Christmas tree shopping in South County this season.
Now it's only two weeks until Christmas and you still haven't picked up a Christmas tree yet, huh? Don't panic (ok well, maybe it is time to panic): Patch is here to ease the search for the perfect tree that'll please the kids and impress the in-laws.
From tree farms to nurseries, we've put together a local brew of places right in South County offering great selections on trees.
- Hemsley Tree Farm, 1 Hemsley Place, 401-294-4336. Nestled behind a dirt road, Hemsley Tree Farm is a family-run tree farm. Enjoy some complimentary hot chocolate and apple cider on the weekend while perusing the farms selection of Fraser fir and white and blue spruce. To make things even easier, all trees are $30 each, whether they're two feet tall or 25 feet tall. The farm's open every day, just as long as the sun's out.
- Schartner Farms, 1 Arnold Plce, 401-294-2044. For shoppers hitting up Schartner Farms, you've got three options: choose and cut ($36.95), pick out a pre-cut tree out front ($38.95 to $44.95), or take home a live three-foot tree ($32.95). Trees range from two feet to 10 feet and are available in both Fraser and Douglas firs.
- Slocumville Farm, 299 South Road, 401-295-7982. Fan of white spruce? Check out Slocumville Farm, where you can choose and cut your own tree. Open all days during daylight hours.
- Stop & Chop Tree Farm, 1 South County Trail, 401-294-9115. White spruce? Blue spruce? Or maybe Fraser fir? Choose your favorite of the three — ranging from three feet to 15 feet tall — and cut it down yourself any day of the week. All trees, no matter the size or species, are $20. Open during the week 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and weekends 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Little Tree Nursery, 7470 Post Road, 401-295-8722. Located right on Post Road, Little Tree Nursery offers a wide variety of trees and other seasonal decorations. Choose from their tabletop balsams ($25) all the way up trees taller than 10 feet (by special order only). Little Tree also carries Douglas fir and Fraser firs. Prices range from $25 and up.
- Turtle Rock Farm, 210 Hamilton Allenton Road, 401-294-7283. This tree farm is about as mom-and-pop as you can get. Husband-wife duo Leo and Caroline Couture have been growing Christmas trees — Fraser fir, balsam fir and white spruce — in their backyard for eight years. Customers can tag a tree or choose and cut one themselves. Turtle Rock's prices and tree sizes are also very flexible, with heights ranging from two feet to 15 feet and priced from $15 to $45.
- Post Road Materials, 3688 Quaker Lane, 401-295-7399. This tidy nursery features a range of Fraser and balsam firs from five feet to 10 feet tall starting at $38. Potted loose spruce and Norway spruce are also available. Post Road also offers other holiday decorations, such as poinsettias, wreaths, roping and baskets.
- The Farmer's Daughter, Broad Rock Road, 401-792-1340. At the Farmer's Daughter in Mooresfield Road in South Kingstown, you can cut your own trees at the large tree farm located nearby on Broad Rock Road. Trees range in price from $30 to $150. Farmer's Daughter also takes special orders for larger trees, which have been featured prominently at local hotels and for special events. The Boston Trade Center's Christmas Tree was purchased here, a 30-footer, according to Sue Champagne at the farm stand.
- Bedrock Farm, 106 Woodland Trail, 401-789-0645. Nestled deep in the woods on the southern shore of Indian Lake, this 28- acre farm includes ten acres is owned by the Geary family and and over 10,000 trees to pick from. All trees, small to tall, are $35.
- Stewart Nursery, Tuckertown Road, 401-783-2631. Established in 1973, the Stewart Nursery sells Christmas Trees from their farm stand on the north side of Tuckertown Road at Post Road.
- Carpenter's Farm, 522 Matunuck Beach Road, 401-783-8958. Carpenter's Farm also sells pre-cut trees at their farm stand in Matunuck.
- Highland Farm, 4145 Tower Hill Road, 401-792-8188. Conveniently located on Route 1 just north of the South County Commons, Highland Farm hosts a bevy of pre-cut trees right at the farm.
- Clark Farm, 711 Kingstown Road, 401-783-8844. Pre-cut trees are also available at Clark Farm on Kingstown Road in Wakefield behind Bobby G's Pub.
- Liberty Lane Nursery, 913 Liberty Lane, 401-789-0776. Owned by Angelo Capra, Liberty Lane sells white spruce, balsam firs, Fraser firs and white pine, all $28 to $30. Some are grown on site, but more are imported from Angelo's family in Foster.
- Congdon Farm, Congdon Drive -Home of the affordable Christmas Tree, according to Karen Congdon. Family run for 40 years - primarily by Elmer S Congdon, who was born & raised here-- this part of the Congdon Holdings being in the family since 1730. The farm is located just off Route 1 southbound.