Manager Contract Acquired; Item Not on Tuesday’s Agenda
According to a copy of the contract, Narragansett’s interim town manager will be paid $111,000 a year.
Based on a copy of the contract signed by Narragansett interim town manager Richard Kerbel and sent to Patch, he will make a yearly salary of about $111,000 – $2.134.62 a week – in the position.
According to dates in the contract, Kerbel and the town council president, James Callaghan, signed it on Feb. 7 in front of two witnesses. The contract agreement was first drawn up on Feb. 5.
Most of the contract’s items were already benefits received either by former town manager Grady Miller, or former interim town manager and current police chief Dean Hoxsie. Other provisions and clauses in the contract:
- The initial contract length is four months, with it renewing on a month-to-month basis afterward. Either party (the town or Kerbel himself) can terminate with 14 days notice, for any reason, without penalty. There is no severance package if Kerbel leaves or is fired, except for accrued vacation time, which is capped at two weeks per year.
- The town agrees to contribute into Kerbel’s pension plan 11 percent of his weekly base salary. He will also be on the same medical and insurance plan as other non-union town employees.
- Kerbel will receive a $400 vehicle allowance and a $50 cell phone allowance each month. The town also agrees to pay for any professionally-relevant associations Kerbel joins.
The council has a work session on Hurricane Sandy clean-up scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, followed by a regular meeting at 7:30 p.m. Both agendas are available on ClerkBase.
The interim town manager contract is not up for debate or public comment at Tuesday’s meetings, according to their respective agendas. However, this means that it would be fair game for discussion during open forum.
PREVIOUS TOWN MANAGER STORIES
- Contract expected Tuesday for interim manager; Clarification on story
- Kerbel offered interim manager job over Hoxsie
- Gansett manager interviews Saturday
- Town looking for manager screening candidates
- [VIDEO] Miller, town reach termination agreement
- Town manager Miller on the outs