With Valentine’s Day only a week away it’s time to escape from the blah and dreary winter blues and focus instead on blazing hot reds and sizzling pinks.
Whether you’re in love with a special someone or want to celebrate a close friendship or show your precious kids, newsy neighbors or helpful co-workers how much they mean to you, check out the sweet deals and heartfelt gifts being offered right here in our love struck community of Narragansett.
Reservations for Two
If you’re looking for a cozy, romantic restaurant to spend Valentine’s Day at this year, Cupid would like to shoot you in the following direction:
- Catarina’s Italian Village located at 945 Boston Neck Road is accepting reservations for their Four Course Valentine Dinner Special for Two. For $65, guests can enjoy a scrumptious appetizer, choice of salad, an entrée such as lobster ravioli and pan-seared salmon or veal Sardinia in addition to two others and a delectable dessert with coffee or tea. And be sure and say hi to Ricky the bartender—he will be concocting his infamous love potion libations specifically created for all you lovebirds this weekend. Call 789-1725 for reservations.
- The Coast Guard House located at 40 Ocean Road can definitely help put you and your honey in the mood with several romantic Valentine dinner choices. It is served up with complimentary stunning ocean views where you can even swoon to the live entertainment of Billy Musto on the piano in the lounge on Saturday, Feb. 12, or rock out to DJ Ulysses Gallman in the Anchor room for dancing to classic and current tunes. Reservations recommended; call 789-0700.
You don’t send me flowers any more. Save that sad love song for someone who doesn’t care! Not only is Narragansett jammed with Romeos who want to shower their deserving lady loves with sensational, fresh flowers, we are also fortunate to have one of the most creative and attentive neighborhood florists in town—Hisa’s. Stop by this delightful flower and gift shop located at 887 Boston Neck Road in the Washington Trust Plaza for gorgeous roses, cheerful Gerber daisies, exotic arrangements and a host of exclusive gifts that you can’t find anyplace else. Hisa is known for her attention to detail and down-to-earth customer service. Local deliveries are available.
How much is that doggie in the window? The one with the waggly tail? Come visit Jordan and Jonathan at Pet Specialties at 904 Boston Neck Road and find out! This unique puppy boutique is quite popular year round, but February is one of their busiest times of the year thanks to Valentine’s Day. When you walk through their doors you will be greeted by a nursery wagging with some of the most adorable and cuddly, four-legged puppies you’ve ever seen. You can visit their gallery of puppies on-line before you head down to the store at www.petspecialties.net. Breeds start at $595 and Pet Specialties offers an affordable in-house EZ Pay plan so that you can bring home the puppy you’ve always wanted even if you can’t pay in full at the time of purchase. There are about 12 puppies available right now and new litters expected shortly. In business for four years now, they specialize only in high-quality breeding. Jordan and Jonathan work with an outstanding network of local and national breeders and can help make the transition of adding a new puppy to your family a healthy and happy experience for all involved.
A Family Affair
If you can’t find a babysitter and a romantic evening for two just isn’t in the cards this year, there’s no reason you can’t celebrate heart day anyway. Kids love this holiday. Pink and red cardstock coupled with glue and glitter equals one-of-a-kind handmade Valentine’s, a messy kitchen island and some very proud children. So if grandma isn’t available to watch your cherubs while you and your sweetheart head out for a candlelit rendezvous, why not stay in and make it a family affair? Calvitto’s Pizza and Bakery located next to Super Stop and Shop is one of the most popular pizza places in town, offering their delicious party pan pizzas, hearty calzones and mouthwatering pastry and desserts. For Valentine’s Day they will also have homemade red velvet cupcakes available.
Make it a pizza/movie night and rent a Valentine comedy that will show everyone the power of love. Right next door to Calvitto’s you can stop in to Super Stop and Shop to rent a classic DVD like Be My Valentine Charlie Brown or the romantic/comedy adventure—The Princess Bride. If you live at the north end of town, check out Bonnet Video located in the Cumberland Farms Plaza on Boston Neck Road. DVD’s are available for only $4 and they also sell classic movie posters, greeting cards, used DVDs and good old-fashioned VHS tapes. Once the kids go to bed, pop in one of these Valentine must watch DVDs—Love Actually, America’s Sweethearts or Serendipity.
Wine a Little
If Valentine’s Day brings with it too much pressure, feel free to go ahead and wine a little! The staff at Pier Liquors, 29 Pier Marketplace have some lovely suggestions on how to add a little ambience to your special evening.
- Banfi Rosa Regale (Italy) A soft and deliciously luscious red sparkling wine with charming hints of rose petals and raspberries. Ideal as a delicate aperitif or an elegant pairing for dessert or with those Valentine's chocolates...($18.99)
- Wither Hills Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand) Wonderful peach, apple and nectarine flavors. The tropical New Zealand style boasts loads of white grapefruit, ripe lush and very refreshing with a lingering finish. Perfect pairing for lighter dishes, fresh shell fish or just fruits and cheese. ($12.99)
- Bichot Pouilly Fuisse (France) Vibrant fruit flavors of pear and melon with notes of minerals and a gentle touch of oak. It has a beautiful creamy, silky finish. Perfect for chicken, fish or pasta dishes with cream or a lighter sauce. ($18.99)
- Byron Pinot Noir (California) This wine boasts a deep, lush and rich flavor that is perfectly balanced. The dominant themes are dark berries, cherrits, rose petal, red plum, and a hint of smoke and spice. This Pinot is lovely with appetizers, or lighter meat dishes. ($17.99)
- Trivento Amando Sur Malbec (Argentina) This wine is a blend of 73% Malbec, 15% Bonarda, and 12% Syrah. This is a great value from Argentina, ripe and juicy delivering vivid rasperry and boysenberry fruit. The notes of jam and plum with a hint of vanilla leads to a wine with a chocolate, velvety finish. A perfect compliment to red meats, roasts or dishes with a heavier sauce. This is a wine that over delivers for the price. ($15.99)
Romantic Overtures (we mean overnights!)
Valentine’s Day falls on a Monday this year, making it perfect timing if you want to celebrate early with a romantic weekend close to home, thereby eliminating the hassle of a road trip with all those unpleasant wintry conditions we’ve had to face recently.
The Village Inn and Trio Restaurant nestled side by side at the Pier are offering an incredible dine and stay special for Valentine’s weekend right through until April 30. This hot package includes a three-course meal with wine, an overnight at The Village Inn with a Continental breakfast the next morning, starting at $132! They also have some great “Girls Getaway” specials as well.
If a charming bed and breakfast is more your style, The Blueberry Cove Inn has some top secret deals happening that just can’t be beat. Check out their blog here for your secret discount codes and before you know it, you and your special sweetie (or just yourself if you need a bit of respite from this winter we’ve been dealing with!) will be hiding out in one of the most quaint and peaceful locations Narragansett has to offer!
How Sweet it is
No Valentine’s Day would be complete without gifting (or receiving!) a satin-trimmed heart shaped box of chocolates. Whether you want to give your kids, their teachers or co-workers an appropriately cute sweet treat or want to wow that chocolate lover in your life with a five-pound box of sinfully decadent delight, CVS at 1123 Boston Neck Road has a great assortment of novelty candies as well as higher end cacao for you to choose from.
Sparkle and Shine
Gone are the days when Valentine’s Day gifts are only about long-stemmed roses and chocolates. Men (sometimes with a little coaching) and women both enjoy selecting gifts that reflect how they feel about the person they are choosing for. Sometimes this takes a bit of thought, but if you visit the delightful Pier Market Place and stop by For Art’s Sake Boutique you can’t miss. This pleasant boutique carries top-quality and very unique pieces of jewelry, eye-catching clothing and accessories, cards and specializes in custom framing. They cater to their customers every whim so you will leave feeling great about your purchase.
If you’re looking for a one-stop shopping experience, you simply cannot forget about Marshalls in the Salt Pond Shopping Plaza. The entrance of the store has a variety of Valentine gift ideas for the entire family. If you can’t think of a thing to gift that man in your life that has it all (after all, he already has you!), now is the time to spring for a pair of funky boxers laden with hearts or even a swanky new bathrobe. There are lots of techie gifts to choose from as well. Most ladies can’t leave Marshalls without a handful of items that have called to them during their shopping stay whether it be something from the intimates department, a beautiful new scarf, a fabulous new handbag or a special new trinket for the home. The gentlemen reading this should have no trouble finding a little “sometin sometin” for their special lady, as long as they steer clear from pots, pans and items of the like in housewares. And don’t forget your favorite kid while you’re here. Marshalls has an eclectic assortment of great toys, trendy sweaters and sports jerseys. Also check out their assortment of culinary delights. You’ll find belgium truffles, seasoned cooking oils, pasta and more.
The Gift of Pampering
How about a gift of luxurious pampering for your loved one, your bff, or better yet—yourself! Faces by Gia is located in Bonnet Place, 1004 Boston Neck Road, and you can indulge in affordable and fabulous spa treatments such as relaxing facials, massages, waxing and hair care.
Saving perhaps the best for last is a gift we all have at the ready, but many times we’re caught up in the daily grind and simply take it for granted—the gift of spending quality time with those we love. Narragansett is a seaside treasure trove of amazing people and businesses but it is also home to our beautiful beaches, stunning seawall, historic and charming parks and buildings, and breathtaking views and scenery—most of which are free for the taking. Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to show our sweethearts, loved ones and friends that we care, no matter how large or small the gessture, and when we have the opportunity to do that by supporting our local businesses it confirms what we already know around these here parts—Narragansett’s got heart—and lots of it!