Here are the (more than) Five Things for Thursday, April 12, 2012:
Veterans – Join American Legion! Post #39 is hosting its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. at the Guild. The meeting is open to any U.S. veteran that would like to join the legion and help out the community.
“Asking an incumbent member of Congress to vote for term limits is a bit like asking a chicken to vote for Colonel Sanders.” – Bob Inglis. Here are your government meetings for today:
- The South Kingstown Town Council will have a budget session with the South Kingstown School Committee at town hall at 7 p.m.
- The South Kingstown Planning Board will meet in Room 14 of the guild at 7 p.m.
- The West Kingston Elementary School PTO will meet at the school at 7 p.m.
Yet another 7 p.m. event! As part of this year's Read Across Rhode Island celebration, Living Literature will be presenting a three person, 60-minute version of the novel Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks. For more information about the 7 p.m. showing at Maury Loontjens Memorial Library, click here.
Note: Not about traffic. The Rotary Club of Wakefield meets at Liliana’s Italian Restaurant at 12:15 p.m. today. For more information, click here.
“They say a tie is like kissing your sister. I guess that is better than kissing your brother.” – Lou Holtz. Here is the sports calendar for today:
- Local match-up: South Kingstown girls’ lacrosse (1-1, 1-1 Division I-South) hosts Prout (0-3, 0-2 Division I-South) at 4 p.m. at Curtis Corner Middle School. Junior varsity is at 5:15 p.m.
- Local match-up: Narragansett softball (0-3, 0-3 Division II-South) hosts South Kingstown (1-2, 1-2 Division II-South) at 3:45 p.m.
- Local match-up: Prout boys’ lacrosse (1-1, 1-1 Division II-South) hosts South Kingstown (1-1, 1-1 Division II-South) at 3:45 p.m. at Christofaro Park in Narragansett.
- Prout boys’ tennis (2-1, 2-1 Division II-South) plays at Cranston West (3-0, 3-0 Division II-South) at 3:45 p.m. Junior varsity hosts Cranston West at 3:30 p.m.
- Prout softball (4-0, 3-0 Division II-South) hosts Middletown (2-1, 2-1 Division II-South) at 4 p.m.
- South Kingstown boys’ tennis (1-0, 1-0 Division I-South) hosts Barrington (2-1, 2-1 Division I-South) at the Broad Rock tennis courts at 3:30 p.m. Junior varsity tennis plays at Barrington High School at 3:30 p.m.
- South Kingstown baseball (2-2, 1-2 Division I-South) travels to Chariho High School (3-1, 2-1 Division I-South) for a 4 p.m. game.
- Narragansett boys’ tennis (1-2, 1-2 Division III-South) hosts Mt. Hope (1-2, 1-2 Division III-South) at 4 p.m.
- Narragansett boys’ track is competing at the Class C Injury Fund meet at Conley Stadium.
“Are you feeling unsatisfied about your size in bed?” You can blame Laurence Canter and Martha Siegel. On this day in 1994, they started the first commercial spam campaign on the Internet and allegedly made $100,000 from it. Read more on the always correct and never wrong Wikipedia.
UMA. OPRAH. David Letterman turns 65 today. Little known about him – He’s the voice of Butt-head’s dad in Beavis and Butt-head Do America. And thanks to the beauty of YouTube, you can watch Dave interview his first ever guest in 1982, Bill Murray, right here. And if you prefer Dave doing his Alka-Seltzer dunk, click here.
Want to be e-mailed when there is a new Five Things? Click the “keep me posted!” button below.