Here are the (more than) Five Things for Sunday, July 8, 2012:
District 3 Little League championship game today! Cheer on some local Little League players, as they play for the championship. The undefeated South Kingstown National 9 and 10-year-old team plays at 1 p.m. They will face either Narragansett or Coventry – the two player on Friday, but the results haven’t been posted yet. South Kingstown only needs to win once to advance. Other Little League games later this week:
- In the 11-year-old bracket, SK American hosts Exeter-West Greenwich at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. SK National plays at Warwick West Side at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday. Narragansett plays at East Greenwich at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.
- In the 12-year-old bracket, Narragansett plays at Wickford at 6:30 p.m. Monday. This is an elimination game for Narragansett. SK National and American were eliminated in earlier games.
- In the Junior age bracket, Narragansett was eliminated. South Kingstown did not enter any teams.
- Narragansett and South Kingstown did not enter teams in the Senior age bracket.
- In the 10-year-old softball bracket, South Kingstown played at 5:30 p.m. Saturday. Results were not posted as of Saturday night. It was an elimination game, and if South Kingstown won, they play Warwick West Side at 5:30 p.m. today. Narragansett was eliminated in an earlier game.
- In the 12-year-old softball bracket, Narragansett was eliminated in late June. South Kingstown did not enter a team.
- South Kingstown and Narragansett did not enter teams in the Junior age bracket.
Exactly what it sounds like. The Singles 60+ Supper Club is dining at the Haversham on Post Road in Westerly at 6 p.m. tonight. For more info, click here. The club is run by the South Kingstown Senior Center.
Not to be confused with the Artist’s Square. The Courthouse Center for the Arts hosts an Author’s Circle at 6 p.m. today with Katherine Towler, the author of Snow Island. The event is free. For more info on Snow Island, read about it on Amazon here. (There is a Kindle version, so you could hustle and get it read by tonight.)
“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.” – Mark Twain. The Contemporary Theater Company is putting on Is He Dead?, a comedy by Mark Twain. Showings run from today to July 20. For more info, click here.
Shop until you drop, and I don’t mean that old cheesy game show! We’ve got the following yard sales, jewelry sales, flea markets and farmers’ markets on the events calendar for today:
- There will be a painting exhibit preview reception at the South County Museum from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The cost is $6, and for more info, click here.
- The weekly flea market at the General Stanton Inn in Charlestown is being held from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- There is a farmers’ market at Fisherman’s Memorial State Park from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- The Wickford Art Festival is celebrating its 50th anniversary! The festival runs from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. both days. For more info, click here.
The truth is out there. On this day in 1947, a UFO might have crashed in Roswell, New Mexico.
“There’s always money in the banana stand.” Happy 67th birthday to Jeffrey Tambor!
Want to be e-mailed when we have a new Five Things? Click the “keep me posted!” button below.