Here are the (more than) Five Things for Saturday, December 1, 2012:
“Remember when you were in the Beatles and you did that album Abbey Road and at the very end of the song, it went: ‘And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.’ You remember that? … Um, is that true?” – Chris Farley. There is a community music program by URI students at 1 p.m. at the URI Fine Arts Center Concert Hall. Admission is free. The university chorus also performs at 8 p.m., at the same place, but admission is $10 for the general public, and $5 for students.
Get those holiday gifts now and beat the rush! You have plenty of opportunities to shop locally for those holiday gifts. Some of the options:
- There is a holiday bazaar and artisan craft fair at the Church of the Good Shepherd. For more info, click here. The event starts at 8 a.m.
- Silver Ties Jewelry is selling at Java Madness at 9 a.m. For more info, click here.
- The Kingston Holiday Fair is at 10 a.m. at the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society. For more info, click here.
- A “Christmas in Kingston” program is being held at 10 a.m. at the Fayerweather House. For more info, click here.
- The holiday fair at Peace Dale Elementary School starts at 10 a.m. For more info, click here, not here.
- There is an artcraft show and sales at 10 a.m. at the Courthouse Center for the Arts. For more info, click here.
Show that Nancy Kerrigan girl what’s up. The Boss Ice Arena is hosting a public skate from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. The cost is $3 for URI students, $6 for general admission, and $5 for each member if you have a group of 20 or more.
Oh no! Maybe there seriously aren’t that many events today, given that it’s National Transit Tribute to Rosa Parks Day. As a result, our events calendar for today is a bit barren. If you’re having an event, please let us know in the comments. Also, make sure it isn’t left out in the future – Submit it via this link (as long as you’re logged into your Patch account).
Santa!!! The South Kingstown Guild is hosting Santa on Dec. 5, 6 and 7, but the program is limited to SK residents. For more info, click here.
Give the gift of food this holiday season. Children’s Dentistry of Wakefield is having a food drive from now until Dec. 19. For more info, click here.
Sign up for our daily newsletter! Hey, I realize we have a lot of neat features and knick-knacks on the site, so it can be confusing to keep up with it all. Want just one simple, easy to read daily digest? Sign up for our e-mail newsletter here then. It comes out between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. roughly, every single day of the week. Amazing, I know!
As Mitch Hedberg would say, at least he stayed in school and got his degree, instead of that loser Mr. Pibb. On this day in 1885, Dr. Pepper was served at drug store in Texas, marking its introduction to the world.
I can’t quote any of her jokes her because they are all too obscene. Happy 42nd birthday to Sarah Silverman!
Want to be e-mailed when we have a new Five Things? Click the “keep me posted!” button below. For our full list of events for today, click here.