Here are the (more than) Five Things for Saturday, April 21:
Earth Day at the EPA. The United States Environmental Protection Agency is hosting an Earth Day Festival at its facility on Tarzwell Drive in Narragansett from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tarzwell is right across the street from the Bay Campus, up in the North End. There will be a marine touch tank, facility tours, algae art and environmental exhibits. For more info, see the attached PDF.
Wash your hands! Because your hands touch every other part of your body, and other things, of course. Today is the last day of Wash Your Hands Week – For more info, go here.
Celebrate Earth Day with something from the ground. The South Kingstown Wintertime Farmer’s Market is being held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 1425 Kingstown Road, a.k.a. the Kenyon Mill Complex. They meet again there next Saturday, before we get into the actual summertime markets in May. Cynthia Field did a piece on the market here.
“Frosty Drew” would be a great name for an ice cream place. It is also the name of a cool observatory and nature preserve in Charlestown though. Tomorrow, they’re holding their annual 5k run and walk. For more info, click here.
La la la, la la la, music time! Here are Saturday’s scheduled performances:
- Kayla Dipippo will sing and play at Cool Beans Café from noon to 2 p.m. Admission is free (but it would be nice if you buy a coffee or something, at the least, you know).
- The B-Sides will play the Towers from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Adults are $10, children younger than 10 are free. The B-Sides are the house band for the Towers.
- The University of Rhode Island Symphony Orchestra will play from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center. For more info about their set and what not, click here. Admissions is $10 for the public, $5 for URI students.
“I always turn to the sports page first. The sports page records people’s accomplishments; the front page has nothing but man’s failure.” – Earl Warren, former Supreme Court justice. Here is today’s high school sports schedule:
- Local matchup: Narragansett junior varsity softball hosts South Kingstown at 11 a.m.
- Prout baseball (5-2, 5-1 Division II-South) plays Exeter-West Greenwich (3-3, 3-3 Division II-South) at 2 p.m. at Wawaloam Field.
- South Kingstown junior varsity baseball plays at Chariho High School at 10 a.m.
Hey! Did you know Earth Day is set for April 22 until at least 2015? Read more on Wikipedia, since it’s never-ever wrong.
Re: boss, answer: Mona. Tony Danza turns 61 today. Every couple of years, he has some new project he’s trying to do, but honestly, you know him from one of three things: Angels in the Outfield if you’re a kid of the 90s, Who’s The Boss if you were of-age in the 80s, or Taxi if we’re… Well, let’s just say if you’re further back than those first two things.
Want to be e-mailed when there is a new Five Things? Click the “keep me posted!” button below.