Here are the (more than) Five Things for Wednesday, October 24, 2012:
Story time! There are stories for kids from ages 3 to 5 at 10:30 a.m. at Peace Dale Library.
“Who wouldn’t want to watch Henry Fonda pick blueberries?” – Norm MacDonald at The Roast of Bob Saget. The Contemporary Theater Company hosts acting lessons at 5 p.m. The cost is $10.
“Horror, let’s face it, is basically pretty dumb. You’re writing about events that are preposterous, and the trick is to dress them up in language so compelling that the reader doesn’t care.” – T.E.D. Klein. Here are today’s scary events:
- At 6 p.m., the Courthouse Center for the Arts turns into the Haunted Courthouse. Admission is $10.
- Dracula: The Vampire Original is at 8 p.m. at the Courthouse Center for the Arts. Tickets are $25.
- Although not exactly the same thing as the first two items… You can check out some night owls – literally – at the Trustom Pond National Wildlife Refuge at 8:30 p.m. Admission is free.
And one and two and three and four! There are ballroom dancing lessons at the Towers in Narragansett at 6 p.m. The cost is $15.
“An election is a moral horror, as bad as a battle except for the blood; a mud bath for every soul concerned in it.” – George Bernard Shaw. Here are today’s government meetings:
- The Route 138 Project Area Committee meets at 4 p.m. at South Kingstown Town Hall.
- The League of Women Voters hosts a “Meet the Candidates” forum at 6:30 p.m., running until 9 p.m., at Narragansett Town Hall. There will be one forum for Narragansett School Committee candidates, followed by Narragansett Town Council candidates.
- In East Greenwich, there is a debate between incumbent Senate District 35 Republican Dawson Hodgson and challenger Winters B. Hames III at 6:30 p.m.
Oh no! Maybe there seriously aren’t that many events today, given that it’s World Development Information Day. (Shout out to my old chemistry teacher, Dr. Lamb!) As a result, our events calendar for today is a bit barren. If you’re having an event, please let us know in the comments. Also, make sure it isn’t left out in the future – Submit it via this link (as long as you’re logged into your Patch account).
Sign up for our daily newsletter! Hey, I realize we have a lot of neat features and knick-knacks on the site, so it can be confusing to keep up with it all. Want just one simple, easy to read daily digest? Sign up for our e-mail newsletter here then. It comes out between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. roughly, every single day of the week. Amazing, I know!
Nowadays, it only costs about $475.32 to cross one way, so it’s still a bargain. On this day in 1931, the George Washington Bridge opens to public traffic.
She’s still ah-mah-zing to me. Happy 31st birthday to Casey Wilson, who was hilarious on Saturday Night Live and is still hilarious on Happy Endings, which had its third season premiere last night. It really is a poorly named show, but it’s hilarious, and you should be watching it.
Want to be e-mailed when we have a new Five Things? Click the “keep me posted!” button below. For our full list of events for today, click here.