5 Things: A Farewell, Budgets and Taxes
Five things to know today in SK, Tuesday, Jan. 31.
1. Former Gov. J. Joseph Garrahy will be laid to rest today with full military honors in the St. Francis Cemetery in Wakefield. The burial will immediately follow a 10 a.m. Mass of Christian Burial at the Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul in Providence.
For the complete obituary, click here.
2. The School Committee will hold a special budget work session today at 7 p.m. in the high school library, 215 Columbia St., Wakefield. Click here to see the agenda.
The program runs on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3-6:30 p.m. from Jan. 24 to April 12 at its headquarters, 33 North Road, Wakefield.
4. Looking for some action? Go out and cheer on one of the local high school sports times today:
- The South Kingstown High School boys' varsity basketball team will face St. Raphael High School today at 7 p.m. also in a home game. Junior varsity plays at 5:15 p.m.
- The South Kingstown High School boys' varsity wrestling team will host a meet today at 7 p.m. in the gymnasium.
- The Prout School's girls and boys varsity swimming teams will hold meets tonight against East Greenwich at 6:45 p.m. at the South County YMCA, 165 Broad Rock Road, Wakefield.
- The Prout School boys' varsity basketball team will play against Davies High School at the 6:15 p.m. at the William M. Davies Jr., Career & Technical High School, 50 Jenckes Hill Road, Lincoln. Junior varsity plays at 4:30 p.m.
- The Prout School girls' varsity basket ball team will play against Johnson today at 7:30 p.m. in the gymnasium, 215 Columbia St., Wakefield. Junior varsity will play at 5:15 p.m.
5. Scattered showers in early morning hours will give way to sunny skies today. Temperatures will max out in the low-40s.