5 Things: Science Fairs, Baseball and Meetings
There are a lot more than five things to do today in South Kingstown, but alas, space is limited. Make sure you check out the full list for today under the 'events' tab.
Here are five things to know about Tuesday, Jan. 10:
1. Can't be in two places at once? Both the School Committee and Planning Board meet tonight 7 p.m. Both meetings will be made into audio records, but the School Committee meeting can be streamed to your computer screen - live or later on - if you click here.
The committee will make a decision on the 2012-13 calendar, an item that has been under contention since the state Department of Education asked Rhode Island school districts to explore eliminating the February and April vacation weeks in favor of a single week off in March. Click here for the full agenda.
The board will vote on a formal reccommendation to the Town Council on LED-type sign technology in South Kingstown. It will also review plans for a 7,500 sqaure-foot medical building on Route 1. To view the agenda, click here.
2. Need a job? Need to hone your skills to get the job you want? The Education Exchange at Lily Pads in Peace Dale, 33 North Road, Apt. C1, Wakefield, can help you earn a GED, prepare to attend college, improve your computer skills, or improve the effectiveness of your job search, and more. Learn more or register for a program today from 9:30 a.m. to noon at the center.
3. This could be cooler than vinegar and baking soda. Students will present their original science projects for the South Kingstown High School Science Fair in the high school cafeteria today at 4 p.m. These inventions and experiments have been in the works since the start of the school year and are sure to impress. The public is invited to atted.
4. The URI Baseball Preseason Clinics kick off tomorrow. Students in grades 4 through 12 are encouraged to participate. A pitching and catching clinic run will run from 6-7:15 p.m. for students in grades 4-8 and from 7:30-8:45 p.m. for those in grades 9 through 12. To register or for more information on what other clinics and dates will be offered, click here.
5. Today will be another mild day with sunny skies. High temperatures could reach into the mid-40s before dropping into the 20s overnight.